Do you want to take your look to the next level? Does a chiseled, sculpted look call to you? Look no further than contouring and highlighting – the perfect way to redefine your features, creating sharp, expertly-crafted definition that will leave everyone in awe. In this article, we’ll show you how to master the complex art of contouring and highlighting to give you the high-definition look you deserve.
1. The Basics of Contouring and Highlighting
Contouring is the technique of using a foundation that is slightly darker than your natural skin to create the illusion of structure and depth in your face. It’s often done with makeup but also comes in cream or powder form. You can play around with the placement, depending on your desired look – lighter tones are great for bringing out cheekbones, whilst darker tones can be used for definition around the jaw line or nose.
Highlighting is the opposite of contouring, using highlighting makeup or other products to give your face a more luminous appearance, especially in areas you want to draw attention to. This technique involves using lighter shades than your natural skin tone and applying it to areas such as the top of your cheekbones, the bridge of your nose, the middle of your forehead and just below the brow bone.
- To start with, you should select the right shade of products for your skin; deciding on warm or cool tones depending on your skin’s undertone.
- Always apply your contour and highlight after foundation and concealer, and before blush and eyeshadow.
- Use a small brush or sponge to apply the products with light, sweeping motions rather than hard lines.
- Finally, make sure to blend and looks for an even, subtle finish.
The technique of contouring and highlighting can take time to perfect, particularly if you’re a beginner, but the results can be so worth it. A good contour and highlight are often the key to creating a natural, yet more intense look. It can also help draw attention to certain features and emphasise them by blending out the tones. Once you get used to the technique, it’s an essential tool in your makeup bag.
2. Taking Your Features to the Next Level with Sculpting
Sculpting can take your skincare routine to the next level, unlocking the full potential of your best features. Ready to see what you’ve got underneath? Here’s what you need to know about the wonders of sculpting:
- It’s All About Balance – When you sculpt, it helps take an uneven face shape and make it more even.
- It Rebalances Texture – Once your face shape is balanced, then you can focus on the finer details, like sculpting the texture of your skin near your nose, cheeks and chin.
The Benefits of Sculpting Are Everywhere – Once you master sculpting, you can go beyond using it to make your features look even. Sculpting can also help you make your lips fuller, smooth out wrinkles, and even create a more photogenic appearance.
From softening a square jawline to making your eyes look bigger and brighter, sculpting is a powerful tool in your skincare arsenal. With regular sculpting, you can enjoy enhanced features and a more radiant complexion.
3. Strategically Shaping with Contour and Highlight
The contouring and highlighting techniques are both integral for shaping a face effectively and giving it a three-dimensional look. Having the right application technique can make a big difference and the aim is always to achieve a natural look.
- Contour has traditionally been used to define the planes of the face, create a more structured appearance and add a bit of shadow. It should be applied lightly on the hollows of the cheeks, along the sides of the nose, chin and forehead. Matching the contour colour to the existing skin tone is essential.
- Highlight is used to reflect light and bring out features, which in turn is very appealing to the eye. A little bit of highlighter can bring life to a face and provide a soft luminance. It is used above the cheekbones, bridge of the nose, cupid’s bow and chin. A shimmering lighter shade can be added on the brow bone as well.
Contouring is all about adding depth and dimension while highlighting is used to emphasise features and draw attention to certain parts of the face. Used in tandem, they are the perfect way to create a well-structured and balanced visage. It serves to both shape and define features while allowing for a more natural finish as the end product.
When using a combination of contour and highlight, there are two important aspects to consider: the choice of colour and the intensity. Blending is essential and the colour used must match the natural skin tone of the individual. The type and shade of the product used will determine how subtle or bold the final look is, and one should ensure it is not overdone as it could appear artificial.
4. Get the Chiseled Look You Crave with These Tips and Tricks
Do More Cardio: Cardio isn’t just a great way to burn calories and get your heart rate up; it can also help you get a chiseled look. High-intensity interval training (HIIT) is a great way to get your heart rate soar and work your entire body. Vary up your cardio routine by trying different exercises such as running, biking, and swimming.
Push Your Muscles: To get the chiseled arms, chest, and abs that you crave, you need to push and tone your muscles. Start by doing bodyweight exercises such as push-ups, crunches, pull-ups, and squats. Increase the difficulty of these exercises to really tone up those muscles. And don’t forget to stretch after each workout.
Make Changes to Your Nutrition: What you eat plays a huge role in how your body looks. To get a chiseled physique, you need to cut down on processed foods and junk food. You should also focus on eating lean proteins, healthy fats, and complex carbohydrates. Eating healthy will help you achieve the body you want without feeling deprived.
Supplement & Hydrate: In addition to your healthy diet and exercise, you should consider supplementing and hydrating your body for maximum results. Adding a pre-workout supplement can help you get more out of your workout and increase energy levels. And don’t forget to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
It’s time to take your beauty routine to the next level. With the right contouring and highlighting application, your face can be sculpted to perfection. Now that you know the techniques, grab your favourite makeup brushes and get ready to show off your chiseled look.