When it comes to fashion and style, trends may come and go, but vintage glam is here to stay. From the ’20s right up to the cult looks of the ’90s, there’s no shortage of retro style inspiration for those who crave a touch of classic glamour. Get ready to explore the decades and uncover glamourous elements from the past. It’s time to channel your inner starlet and embrace the vintage glam lifestyle!
1. A Look Back: Retro Style 101
Fashion is cyclical, and what became popular in the past is often seen again in today’s trends. Taking a look back at the style of yesteryear can show how the modern iteration of classic fashion truly redefines the past. Make the look your own with Retro Style 101!
Power Suiting for the Ladies
The 70s and 80s saw intense female power suits. Take modern credentials, switch them to high-waisted pants, but keep the boxy blazer. You can often find these vintage pieces in thrift stores or online. Whether you opt for a fun printed number or standard grey charcoal, you’re sure to look like a CEO!
Add a touch of sophistication to your look with accessories. Hair clips, such as barrettes, hair claws, and combs, can be fun to accessorize and dress-up your hair. Every era had its own fashion of jewelry. Think hoop earrings, charm bracelets, and beaded necklaces.
Shoes to Funky Roots
Don’t forget the shoes! Platforms are a classic look compared to the styles of the 70s and 80s, but you don’t have to stick to them. If you’re feeling adventurous, a funky Mary Jane or chunky 90s boots can breathe some fresh air into your fashion set.
Whether you’re going for a sleek look or bejeweled one, retro style is a great way to step out in a look true to you! That said, don’t forget that vintage pieces may need to be altered for today’s trends. Before styling take a moment to check your vintage clothing for any repairs or alterations before pulling off an effortless, historic look.
2. Get the Look: Vintage Glam Styling Tips
Vintage glam styling is all about pairing classic looks with traditional silhouettes. Start by digging through your wardrobe to create a timeless, feminine look. Below are some tips to help you get started.
- Look for inspiration. Take cues from vintage photos or movies to create a classic style. Think about Audrey Hepburn for a morning look, and Cher Horowitz for evening.
- Find the perfect pieces. Look for items in classic fabrics such as tweed, velvet, and lace. You can also look for items such as a fitted blazer, pleated miniskirt, or a swing dress.
- Create your look. Start with a basic piece like a button-down blouse and mix it up with a statement skirt or pants. Add accessories like sunglasses, a statement necklace or earrings, and a wide-brim hat for a classic Hollywood feel.
- Choose the right colors. Rich, earthy tones like auburn and ivory as well as jewel tones add an old-school vibe to any outfit.
With the right foundations, you can create a timeless vintage glam style with your signature twist. Whether you’re going for a romantic day look or a glamorous evening ensemble, strive to create a vintage look that is uniquely you.
3. Accessories for a Finish Glam Touch
Adding accessories to a look can completely transform your style. Finish your glam look with these accessories to have heads turn!
Upgrade your look with hair accessories like a sparkly headband. Alternatively, use jewelled pins or metallic clips to accentuate an up-do.
Add a statement necklace in a bright hue to make a statement or a bangle set to add texture and depth to your look. Geometric earrings are also a great way to add a dash of glamour.
Now that you’ve gotten your essentials right, you need to carry it all in style. A sleek metallic clutch is the perfect accessory for any glam look and will make sure that you look chic without being too flashy.
The perfect finish to a look is the right pair of heels. A glitter-studded pair of pumps, strappy sandals, or sleek boots are ideal. Make sure they coordinate with your jewellery for a look that’s whole and put together.
4. Inspiration from the Icons of Retro Glam
They say there’s no better way to find motivation and inspiration than through the icons of the past. Retro glam is no exception, offering a range of striking personalities throughout the decades that have made an indelible mark on fashion history. From bold flapper style, Hollywood starlets, and mod rockers, here are a few inspiring women who made glam all their own.
- Josephine Baker: The first ever African-American female to star in a major motion picture, Josephine Baker was a larger-than-life figure in jazz age glamour. Whether it was her iconic banana skirt or her effortless stage presence, Baker was nothing short of dazzling. Plus, her commitment to activism and creating a platform for herself and other female performers was nothing short of inspiring.
- Marlene Dietrich: From her roles on the silver screen to her daring androgynous style, Marlene Dietrich pushed the boundaries of fashion and beauty. Rising to fame as a cabaret singer in the Weimar Republic, Dietrich was a leader in the age of women’s liberation. She was one of the first female celebrities to wear trousers in public, a style move that was unheard of at the time.
- Twiggy: Lesley Lawrenson, better known as Twiggy, was the definitive face of 1960s fashion. With her signature pixie cut, doll-like eyes, and tiny frame, she put a youthful spin on classic glam. Twiggy was a muse of designer Mary Quant and a favorite of fashion and style magazines of the era. Her style was simple yet timeless, and she continues to be an icon of retro glam.
These bold icons of retro glam set the tone for future generations. Their ability to embrace the changing fashion landscape and challenge the status quo embodies the true meaning of style and confidence. As we look to the future, they will continue to stand as inspirations for defining what glamour means for every generation.
So why not break with tradition and start showing off your impressive signature style? With vintage glam, you’ll be sure to gain attention in all the right places. Let your style take you back to the past and start channeling classic retro vibes today.